Meet Maestro Robert W. Butts — Conductor
Dr. Robert W. Butts has shared his
passion, enthusiasm and knowledge of music through his work
as conductor, composer, educator, writer, and
He has conducted major
orchestra and opera performances in New Jersey as well as
guest appearances in Europe, most recently making
his Italian debut in Crema with a performance of Pergolesi's
La Serva Padrona and the world premiere of his composition
Saturnalia Strings. His Early Morning Suite
for classical guitar has been featured in recitals in
Italy and England as well as in the United States.
- Studied conducting at Juilliard with Maestro Vincent La Selva; received DMA in conducting from The American Conservatory of Music in Chicago; attended master classes in Toronto, Canada, and Berlin, Germany.
- Has conducted in Romania, Czech Republic, Russia, and Italy
- Has served as Principal Conductor for The Garden State Sinfonia, Opera at Florham, The Little Opera Company, New Jersey Concert Opera, Eastern Opera Company of New Jersey, and Opera Theatre of Montclair
- Has conducted concerts featuring The New Jersey Symphony, The Masterwork Chorus, The Plainfield Symphony, and Harmonium
- Is only conductor to have conducted three Wagner operas (Das Rheingold, Die Walküre, Siegfried) and three Handel operas (Acis and Galatea, Semele, Giulio Cesare) in New Jersey
- Has conducted performances of over forty operas ranging from Monteverdi to Modern
- In addition to his own compositions, Maestro Butts has conducted world premiere works by Vatican composer Monsignor Marco Frisina as well as works by Ting Ho, John Franek, Amy Reich, Richard Russell, Andrew Pecota, Derwyn Holder, and Paul Zeigler
- He has edited and conducted modern day performances of works by 17th and 18th century composers
- Has taught conducting at Montclair State University and The College of Saint Elizabeth
Maestro Butts is also an accomplished
Contact Maestro Butts to discuss conductor topics.